Give Up

The whole notion of sacrifice is interesting to me because it is so personal. I really don't care for dogs, so if someone asked me to give up dogs, never seeing a dog again wouldn't devastate me. I have friends who that would be earth shattering for, the thought of giving up a dog.

Lent then, entails something so personal from us, because we are challenged to sacrifice something. To give up a particular love, or sin, or habit for the sake of growing in love of Christ. This, then, points to the deeply personal relationship that is desired from us, as we walk through these 40 days. It is not something that is supposed to be hard for the sake of being hard. The sacrifice of Lent is something that is supposed to be hard for the sake of Love.

I don't suppose I had any direction in this - but here is the wrap-up: strive to sacrifice for Love this Lent.

I am reminded of one of my favorite JPII quotes: "Are you capable of risking your life for someone? Do it for Christ."

Comments

Popular Posts